Co-creating inclusive age-friendly cities
The URBANAGE project aims at providing a long-term sustainable framework for data-driven decision-making in the field of urban planning for age-friendly cities.
URBANAGE is a 3-year H2020 European initiative focused on improving the comfort of older citizens. The project started in 2021. Based on a thorough understanding of users’ needs, the ecosystem (tools, and cocreation) will be validated by piloting use-cases in three local planning systems in Europe (Helsinki, Santander, and Flanders).
Two pilot cases were designed for Flanders as a result of 3 cocreation workshops.
- Based on comfort-indicators, a green comfort index is determined and visualised on a map. This information helps citizens find comfortable spots in the city and allows planners and policymakers to increase green comfort (or improve accessibility) based on inclusive, evidence-based decisions.
- By mapping the distribution of older people with reduced mobility, policymakers can prioritise city upgrades to improve comfort.
On this webpage, we bundle use cases, demonstrating the outcome of this project.
Find out more: https://www.urbanage.eu/flanders
About the Flanders pilot
Total surface: 13.522 km2
Inhabitants: 6.653.062 (2021)
URBANAGE Pilot highlights include:
- Cocreation-based mapping of users’ needs;
- The determination of a Green Comfort Index;
- The visualisation of Green Comfort Index components;
- 3D simulation of shadow impact of buildings and trees;
- The usage of AI technology to improve calculations;
- Anonymous mapping of higher concentrations of older people with reduced mobility;
In the picture
Amplifying the Voices of Older Adults
Elsie Haldane (Edited by Vilde Skorpen Wikan) wrote an article about URBANAGE and its mission to create age-friendly cities based on our European Week of Regions and Cities workshop.
URBANAGE Flanders – Cases
Start To Discover…
…as a visitor
…as a user/expert
Do whatever a visitor can do
…as an organisation/project
Do whatever a user/expert can do
Turn yourself in active mode :
- Get access to our back-office
- Use existing datasets and models
- Create and manage your own cases, simulations & dashboards
- Vote and comment existing cases
Boost your organisation/project with free, state-of-the-art technology :
- Create your own creative laboratory
- Manage users and cases inside your organisation or project
- Create scenarios and organise voting
- Broadcast your cases to a broad public
What we offer
Make better evidence-based operational decisions and longer term policy choices.
ANALYSE AND PREDICT
This platform offers a business-level view that can be used to measure, analyse and predict operational impact across an entire city or region. This end-to-end, real-time, visibility enables cities to understand what is happening across its multi-disciplinary domains and services.
SIMULATE AND EXPERIMENT
Predictive simulations create a better understanding of how a service can meet the needs of its target audience, enabling differing teams from across an organisation to work together to make more informed choices.
MAKE BETTER OPERATIONAL DECISIONS
This platform provides a virtual city replica, which make it easy to understand the complex interrelation between traffic, air quality, noise and other urban factors. Cities can react quickly to events and simulate alternative policy and operational approaches based on real data.